Two Children Die After Vaccination

Two children, including an infant, died after being administered vaccines in a Bihar village, health officials and parents said on Tuesday.

A 20-day-old boy died on Monday, a day after he was administered DPT and BCG vaccines in Kamrauli village of Darbhanga district, about 200 km from Patna.

“My child died a day after he was administered vaccines by health volunteers,” the boy’s unconsolable mother Neetu Devi said. She said that she took the newborn for vaccination after being persuaded by an immunisation campaign, but it cost his life.

A two-year-old boy in the same village also died after he was administered the vaccines.

His mother Lalita Devi said: “He was healthy before vaccines. But he developed a high fever and showed sign of weakness before he died.”

The parents are demanding action against the health officials.

Villagers alleged that health volunteers used infected syringes for the vaccines.

Reports said several children have fallen ill in the village and neighbouring areas in Darbhanga district after vaccines.

Source: The Hindu, 30th December 2008.

Drug Dealer Seized For East China Vaccine Incident

The drug dealer selling problematic vaccines to sicken 300 school students in east China’s Anhui Province was caught by police in the provincial capital city of Hefei early Monday morning.

Private dealer Zhang Peng, who was at large since the accident broke out, allegedly sold 3,000 doses of hepatitis A vaccines produced by Pukang Biotech Co. in east China’s Zhejiang Province to primary and secondary schools in Dazhuang town of Sixian county. Around 2,500 students were vaccinated with the iffy products on June 16 and 17.

One student was killed and another 300 were sickened and suffering from nausea and breathing difficulties shortly after the vaccination.

Source: China Daily, 4th July 2005.

VAN UK’s Comment: I find it interesting that they referred to the drug rep as a ‘dealer’ – essentially that is all vaccine companies are, drug dealers.

Death of a British Baby After Polio Vaccine

There is a good article on babyworld about the loss of a baby and the stages of grief, written by a mother whose 10 week old baby died after his polio vaccination:

Was it my fault?

This is often one of the first questions a parent will ask after the death of a child. It is also the one niggling doubt that never leaves you, regardless of how illogical it seems or how many times people assure you that you are not at fault.

Toby died from his polio vaccination. I know it’s not my fault. As his mother I believed I was protecting him by having him immunised. Yet even today I blame myself. If I hadn’t taken him for his immunisations he would still be alive. If I had questioned the doctor she would not have given him the vaccine and he would still be alive. It is almost as if I need to blame myself because I was his mother and I couldn’t protect him.

See for the full article.

Family Given Compensation 10 Years After Baby Dies From Polio Drops

n a decision aimed at making public authorities more accountable, a city court has directed the Delhi government to pay Rs 2 lakh as compensation to the parents of an infant who died after being administered with Pulse Polio drops in 1999.

The court held that the government was obligated to not only run public health programmes like Pulse Polio, but was also duty bound to protect people from the probable side-effects of the vaccine.

“The constitutional obligation of the Government to improve public health is not confined to introducing programmes and administering medicines but extends to protecting a child under such a programme from all the consequential effects,” said Additional District Judge (ADJ) Kamini Lau.

Five-month-old Nishu started vomiting after she was vaccinated in Najafgarh on November 21, 1999.

By November 23, her condition deteriorated despite being given medicines earlier at the Government Hospital in Zaffarpur. At 1.30 am, her grandfather Rajpal rushed her to the hospital where, according to the petition, the staff was found sleeping, and despite repeated requests, a doctor was not called. Instead, Rajpal was asked to take the child to the DDU Hospital.

Suffering with acute respiratory distress and diarrhoea, Nishu succumbed on way to the DDU Hospital.

“Authorities cannot shun their legal responsibility in case a person falls sick or loses life after being administered with medicines, for not only the improvement of public health but also the protection of life is the primary duty of the government,” ADJ Lau said.

The court also criticised the condition of government hospitals in the Capital and asked the government to improve it.

“In any programme of immunisation involving administration of drops, the possibility of side-effects cannot be ruled out and it is necessary for the government to gear up its machinery to meet such an eventuality,” ADJ Lau said.

Rajpal led the legal fight on behalf of the child’s parents, accusing the government of negligence.

As many as six other children had fallen sick after being given the polio drops during that period, indicating that something was wrong with the vaccination programme.

Challenging the petition, the government had said there was neither any negligence in treating the child nor any fault with the vaccinations in view of the report submitted by a high-powered committee formed to look into the death of the child.

ADJ Lau, however, observed that the facts on record spoke volumes about the circumstances that led to the death of the infant.

Taking strong exception to the manner in which the episode was followed by the government agencies, the judge said: “Was it not necessary for the government to have instituted a high-level probe rather than conducting eyewash investigations on the complaint of Rajpal? This was necessary to reinforce the faith of the public in government programmes meant for their welfare.”

ADJ Lau further questioned the government’s promise to provide adequate health measures to everyone and said: “Why under these circumstances does the government not gear up its machinery to meet emergencies like the one in the present case?”

The court further held that the programme was conducted in a “casual” manner as not even the vials of the polio vaccines were preserved for an in-depth inquiry at later stages.

By Utkarsh Anand, Express India, 5th January 2009.

DPT Poisoning Blamed For Infant’s Death

HE CONTROVERSIAL combined vaccine commonly known as DTP (Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis) has been blamed for the sudden death of a six-week-old infant at Windhoek’s Katutura Hospital, after the infant suffered brain damage and died less than 24 hours after his vaccination.

Zameer Moin Mohammad Chania (6 weeks old) died on January 9 after receiving polio 1 + DPTP 1 vaccination at Windhoek’s Robert Mugabe Clinic. A toxicological examination conducted at Rhino Park Hospital suggested toxicity due to contaminated or expired vaccines.
A prominent Windhoek Paediatrician consulted for comment on the possible effects of DTP on infants said that the pertussis component of DTP had not been linked to infant deaths before, but would not rule out other adverse side effects.
“I believe that it was very likely the vaccine that caused the excessive crying. Although rare, it is a known effect of the vaccine. However, afterwards, a number of factors were involved and one cannot single out only one of them as the cause of death,” he said.
The Ministry of Health has launched an investigation into the deaths. “We need to look at the batch numbers of the vaccines and see what really went wrong,” said Ministry of Health and Social Services Gladys Kambo. Kambo said ministry officials were monitoring some babies to observe side effects of the vaccine.
According to his mother Linda Mohammad Chania, Zameer received pink polio drops and an injection in the thigh at 11h00, and began crying uncontrollably for the entire day until 21h00, when he suddenly stopped breathing.
“I cannot understand, my happy baby kicking in the water in the morning dead by night,” said a heartbroken Chania. “Why do we only get this information (about possible toxicity of DTP) after the deaths of our children?”
Zameer was rushed to Katutura Hospital, where a certain Dr La Grange examined him and determined that he was well nourished and not chronically ill. Zameer then became irritable and unresponsive to stimulation, after which he suffered an episode of seizures.
Around 22h00, he stopped breathing, and nurses tried to resuscitate him with several doses of adrenalin, but his pulse remained low and fluctuating.
“The baby’s colour kept on changing and became paler, his pupils were not responding and he became very weak,” said Chania.
“Blood started rushing down his nose, and deep down I knew that it was close to the end.
“I kept telling the doctor that he was a healthy six-week-old baby until this morning, the more she tried to explain to me that his brain is damaged and he is not going to survive.”
Zameer died at 02h00 the following morning, after more than two hours of attempted resuscitation. His autopsy noted an adverse reaction to the DTP vaccine, but his mother found no solace in consulting Windhoek’s finest paediatricians and Government officials.
“How can it be possible that a vaccination supposed to save our children’s lives can kill my child? Other innocent babies are dying, and the medical board and Government do not want to stop. They must stop and I want justice,” said Chania.
The Ministry of Health has reportedly appointed Dr Norbet Forster to lead investigations into the recent deaths of infants, and establish the cause of adverse reactions to DTP vaccinations. Dr Foster is currently consulting with principals in primary healthcare.
Medical authorities have banned DTP in Japan and replaced it with DTaP in the United States, Germany, the United Kingdom and several other developed countries. The impediment for most developing countries has been the cost of getting the more secure accelular pertussis (DTaP) vaccine. The United States government, after decades of protest against the use of the problematic DTP, approved DTaP as a replacement for the DTP combination vaccine. According to the US Food and Drug Administration, researchers in the US and Europe found that DTP was the most likely of any vaccine to cause reactions, seizures, redness of the skin and high pitched crying in infants after vaccination.
In most developed countries, DTP has been replaced with the more effective but higher priced (DTaP) vaccine and parents have been advised to ensure that children receive DTaP rather than DTP, which has been shown to have side effects that are more adverse.
In Windhoek, three other babies are said to have died on January 9 after receiving similar DTP polio vaccinations at Katutura Hospital, with several similar deaths also reported in the North.

Source: Informante, 4 February 2009, written by Tawanda Kanhema.

South African Government Is Investigating Deaths After DPT Vaccine

THE Permanent Secretary for Health and Social Services Kahijoro Kahuure has confirmed that the government is conducting investigations into the deaths of infants after vaccination with the Diphtheria-Tetanus-Pertussis (DTP) vaccine.

At a press conference held to address concerns over the alleged adverse side effects of the vaccine, Kahuure said samples of the vaccine used on baby Zameer Mohammad Chania who died less than 24 hours after receiving DTP on January 9, 2009 been sent for tests at laboratories in South Africa.
“Even though it is not proven that the deaths were in any way caused by vaccination, we extend our condolences to the families who lost their babies,” said Kahuure.
Zameer’s parents, who attended the press conference were outraged by Kahuure’s attempts in his statement to attribute the baby’s death to medication he received at home to ease the pain after he had cried for more than 7 hours.
“They are trying to shift the blame and say I gave medicines that could cause symptoms, how could they say that?” said Linda Mohammed Chania, Zameer’s mother.
DTP has been at the receiving end of harsh criticism and many developed countries have abandoned it in favour of DTaP which has lesser side effects.
Research conducted into the side effects of the controversial Diptheria/Tetanus/Pertussis (DTP) vaccine, which has been blamed for the recent deaths of infants in Namibia, shows that the drug has the potential to induce cardio-respiratory complications, brain damage and even death in premature infants.
British Dr HH. Buttram concluded in his research that DTP should not be given to babies in the first 47 days after predicted birth date, meaning that giving DTP at 6 weeks still carries the risk of causing breathing to stop, especially in premature babies.
Information collected on the side effects of DTP by the Parents of Vaccine Damaged Children, a British organisation, confirmed Buttram’s findings, and further showed that the most adverse reactions were within 24 hours of vaccination.
“In 65% of the cases referred to us, reactions followed the triple vaccine (diphtheria-pertussis-tetanus). The children in this group total 182 to date, all are severely brain damaged, some are also paralysed and 5 have died,” wrote Rosemary Fox, Secretary of PVDC in the British Medical Journal.
“Approximately 60% of reactions occurred within 24 hours of vaccination, 80% within 3 days, and all within 12 days,” she added.

Source: Written by By Tawanda Kanhema from Informante, 11 February 2009.

3 Year Old Dies After Vaccination

Authorities said emergency units responded to a home on Wright Street in Madison Friday morning, where they found 3-year-old Amaya M. Walker unresponsive.

Authorities said the girl was taken to St. Mary’s Hospital where she was pronounced dead just before noon on Saturday.

According to Coroner John Stanley, autopsy results ruled out any physical injuries relating to the girl’s death. More tests will be needed to determine the cause of death.

Joe Reyes lives next door to the girl’s great grandmother, where emergency crews responded Friday. Reyes told 27 News Amaya had appeared healthy in recent days.

“She was happy, jumping around like any normal kid. She was a really nice girl, wonderful girl.”

Reyes said Amaya had some sort of reaction to receiving required immunizations recently. But Reyes said he believed the child’s adverse reaction was only temporary.

Officials with the Madison school district’s Head Start program told 27 News Amaya Walker was enrolled in the program just days before her death. The program for three and four year olds requires proof of immunizations and a physical examination within thirty days of enrollment.

Source: 27 News, 9 February 2009.

2 Day Old Baby Dies After Hep B Vaccination

Following the death of a child in Ha Tinh after getting a hepatitis B shot on March 2, the central province has banned the vaccine until investigators can determine the cause of death.

Six hours after receiving the vaccine, the baby, just two days old, died. Its parents belong to Thach Ha District.

Before the start of the investigation, Dr. Nguyen Van Binh, deputy head of the Department of Health Preventative and Environment suggested that anaphylactic shock could be the cause of death.

He said the vaccine was given to two babies but the other child is stable.

Source:, by N.Quoc, D.Quang – Translated by Anh Dao, 5th March 2009.

The article had an accompanying photo of a child being vaccinated, with a caption stating that anaphalaxis after vaccination was a ‘frequent occurance.’

Girl Killed After Rubella Vaccine, 27 Others In Hospital

A girl student died and 27 others were admitted to a hospital after being administered a vaccine against Rubella in Sri Lanka’s Matara district, prompting President Mahinda Rajapaksa to order a probe.

Health Ministry official, B Wanninayake, said here that one of the 28 girls, who fell ill and were admitted to a hospital on Thursday after the vaccine reacted, died on Friday morning.

Around 300 students of St Thomas’ Girls School in Matara, about 160 km south of Colombo, were administered vaccine on Thursday after which some of them fell ill.

Source: The Hindu, 20th March 2009.

Peshala, Girl Killed By Rubella Vaccine, Was Contraindicated And Doctors Ignored Her Mother’s Letter And Told The 12 Year Old To ‘Go Home And Breast Feed From Your Mother’, Before They Killed Her With The Shot

Peshala, the 12 year old girl vaccinated by force by doctors who pulled on her tie and then jabbed her. She later died.

Peshala Hansani, a 12-year-old student of S. Thomas’ Girls School, Matara becoming a victim following a vaccination programme against Rubella, alarmed the entire nation posing a threat to the higher health standards maintained by the country as the tug of war between health authorities continues, even after a week, as to what caused the death of Peshala.

“She was our only child and was precious to us. I even monitored the food she ate with such great concern and I can swear that she was not diagnosed for any serious illnesses. There were a few occasions she was given medicine for fever and the only health issue she had was the allergy to dairy products and the wheeze,” said Kalyani fighting back the tears.

“She never went out to play with other children. This was something that she missed in life as she used to get the wheeze when was in contact with dust, so she stayed out of sports but she was very good in other extracurricular activities. She had won many prizes for her inborn talent in speech, poetry and literature. She even did batik and fabric painting in addition to drawing,” Kalyani told us with sadness in her eyes.

I was concerned about my only child and my maternal instincts somehow were not agreeable to the vaccination. So I put an appointment with the doctor for my daughter to be vaccinated against Rubella on the coming Sunday (22) at the MOH office in my presence,” she said.

Since she was very worried about her daughter she had taken the child to another female doctor who assured her that not a single medical officer will vaccinate a child disregarding the child’s health concerns.

“Finally, I wrote a letter to the medical officer citing all her health conditions and her allergies. I pleaded with him to take all those into consideration before deciding whether she should be vaccinated or not. I said it like that because I sent a similar letter to the medical officer who came to vaccinate school children against tetanus last year. She was given a shot against tetanus a week before the programme and that medical officer after reading my letter had told my daughter she need not get vaccinated. Unfortunately this time my daughter was forced to get vaccinated,” she alleged.

A friend of Peshala who wished to be anonymous in fear that she will be ill-treated in school said that she was right throughout with Peshala until she was vaccinated because she was visibly worried.

“Peshala was right in front of the line we were in but she let others get vaccinated first and ultimately was the last to go to the doctor. I waited to accompany her to the classroom even though I was already vaccinated. She tried to give the letter which was clipped to her vaccination card but the doctor didn’t pay much attention to it. Then Peshala said she got the wheeze but the doctor said it is not a big deal (“hathiyath ledakda lamayo.”) Finally she said that she is allergic to dairy products. To this the doctor said if she is allergic to dairy products ask her mother to breast feed her when she returned home (“kiri kema allergic nam meka gahala gedara gihin mawkiri bonna.”) and vaccinated her after pulling her near by her tie,” the friend explained.

The friend also alleged that several other children who refused to get vaccinated because their parents had not wanted them to, were forced to get vaccinated.

Peshala’s mother and several other parents alleged that she was not rushed to the hospital as soon as she complained of chest pains and breathing difficulties.

“Her friends who came for the funeral said that Pehala had walked back to the class room showing no signs of pain but after a moment she had crushed the vaccination card in pain and had pulled her friend’s tie and complained that she was having chest pains. At that moment a medical officer had come and washed her face with water and told others not to worry as she might be feeling dizzy. Then he had gone upstairs to attend to two other students who had complained of similar discomforts. On his way back he had noticed that the condition of my daughter was not good and then only had the school authorities taken her to the hospital,” Kalyani said.

According to the Director of the Matara General Hospital, Dr. Aruna Jayasekara, Peshala was admitted to the hospital around 11.15 in the morning in a critical condition.
“When she was taken into the hospital her brain was already dead and the pulsing and breathing too had stopped. Even though we attempted to give her artificial respiration and get her pulse back to normal, it was useless. She was not responding to any of the treatments,” Dr. Jayasekara said.

Source: The Nation On Sunday.

Total Stupidity From WHO – They Must Think Parents Are Idiots

According to a report from WHO, the rubella vaccine did not kill 12 year old Peshala:

Two Specialists Doctors attached to the World Health Organization(WHO) who conducted an Inquiry on the Rubella Vaccine related Death in Sri Lanka stated in their report that the given Rubella Vaccine did not cause the Girl Student’s Death. Girl Student Died due to the Shock caused by the Allergic Reaction she was having at the time Report stated.

Source:, 31 March 2009.

VAN UK’S Comment: Yes she died of an allergic reaction, to the vaccine! It is totally ridiculous to suggest it wasn’t the vaccine that killed her when she was having a reaction to that vaccine, i.e. a vaccination death!

4 Year Old Dies After Oral Polio Vaccine

Barely a few hours after being administered the Oral Polio Vaccine at a Pulse Polio booth, a four-year-old child died on Sunday.

Ashish, was reportedly suffering from Grade-IV malnutrition and authorities claimed the death could have been a coincidence. The police have, however, registered a case. A postmortem will be conducted on Monday at the RML Hospital, said officials of health department, adding that the Union Health Ministry had been informed and a committee comprising officials from the Drug Control Authority would be looking into the matter.

“Though we have very little doubt that the vaccine lead to the child’s death, we are investigating the matter. The inquiry committee will soon submit its report,” said Dr C M Kaneju, Officer on Special Duty (OSD), Pulse Polio Programme.

The child was given OPV at the Todapur Aanganwadi Centre along with 150 other children—among them was Ashish’s younger brother. “All children were given drops from the same vial and none of them have reported any side effect. We are monitoring their condition,” said Professor Kiran Walia, Health and Family Welfare Minister, Delhi.

Source: Indian Express, 25 May 2009

2 Month Old Dies In Her Mother’s Arms Hours After Vaccination

A two-month-old baby girl died in her mother’s arms yesterday morning, hours after having her first vaccination but an autopsy has revealed that she was smothered, police said.

Baby Cindy Apithy was bleeding from the nose and mouth when she died.

Her parents insisted yesterday that the child’s death was caused by the vaccine, although the autopsy stated that she was smothered.

Police believe baby Cindy was accidentally crushed on the bed she shared with her mother and two-year-old sister.

Natalie James said: “I know what happened to my baby. I woke up several times to take care of the baby because she was crying. They trying to cover it up.”

James said she woke to check on her baby around 2 a.m. when she noticed blood oozing from the child’s nose and mouth. “I took her for a check up at the health centre, but I did not know they were going to give her a shot. I told the doctor that my older child had her first shot at three months, but they insisted. I never had a problem with my older daughter,” she said.

James said her baby developed a fever soon after.

“I gave her the medicine the doctors prescribed but she was only crying and crying, I did not know what to do because she was getting stiff,” she cried.

James, who lives at Lamont Street Ext, Longdenville, said when her baby began bleeding, she wrapped her in a blanket and ran through the streets begging for help. “I began screaming for someone to take me to the hospital because we had no transport. I went to a bar and a woman carried me to the health centre,” she said.

By the time she arrived at the Chaguanas Health Centre, the baby was already dead, James said.

“I am blaming the doctors for this because my child was good. I feel the injection was too strong. I am going to file a complaint after the autopsy,” she said.

Paediatrician Dr Beni Balkaran said the baby’s death may not have been caused by the vaccine. Balkaran said: “Bleeding through the mouth and nose is not an adverse effect of the vaccine. The only way a baby would die from a vaccine would be if he suffers an allergic reaction and even that would not cause bleeding.”

The child’s 38-year-old father, Abenigo Apithy, an electrical technician, intends to seek legal advice, James said. “He is really distraught over our baby’s death. We do not live together because of his work but he works really hard to care for his children,” she said.

Source: Trinidad and Tobago Express, 3rd June 2009.

VAN UK’s Comment: There is medical literature which shows that vaccines can cause scurvy, which causes bleeding in the eyes, nose and mouth. For more details, see SIDS and vaccines page.

More Sri Lankan Girls Sick After Rubella Vaccine

A group of school girls in Matara were admitted to the hospital following the administration of rubella vaccine.

Hospital sources said that several students in Mahamaya Girls School in Matara have been admitted to the hospital experiencing severe headaches and other symptoms after the vaccination.

However, they are not in a life threatening condition, the hospital confirmed.

In mid March a 12-year-old school girl, Peshala Hansanai of the Matara St. Thomas Girls School died and 26 more students fell ill following administration of Rubella vaccine.

Following the incident, the government has temporarily suspended the school rubella vaccination program. The program was later recommenced in May under the guidance of World Health Organization.

Source: Colombo page, 19th June 2009.

My 1 Year Old Grandson is DEAD After Vaccines Without His Mother’s Consent – Help Needed

Friday October 2, 2009 my daughter took her youngest son Chris to the pediatrican for a 1 yr check. Chris is a special needs child.

At 6 months he was given vaccines and within 24 hours began having serious seizures.

Friday, he came in with a fever, coughing and runny nose. The nurse by the peds orders came in without asking, without signatures,and gave him a flu shot, adding 5 other shots with it.

My daughter was so angry — she asked why she did this, when she told them he was already sick and the serious reactions from his past vaccinations. She said” it was no big deal, its not going to hurt him.”


As of this morning, Chris was dead.

I am on my way to Michigan by tomorrow and you know what,.
I want some sort of names, phones, attorneys and anyone we can find to sue this scum for what they have done.

I spoke to a hospital nurse today and she happens to have a special needs child herself and she said, “take names, get records”.

This is all I am going to say besides how sorry I am and how sick I am how they have treated this family.




Another Girl Dead and others Sick After Rubella Vaccine

Another school girl who was administrated with rubella vaccine has died last night after being admitted to Kurunegala hospital.

According to the police, three students from Wariyapola area has been admitted to Kurunegala hospital last evening due to severe headaches and other symptoms after administration of rubella vaccine.

One of the students who has been admitted to Intensive Care Unit immediately due to her serious condition, later died, hospital sources confirmed. The other two girls have been discharged after treatments.

In mid March a 12-year-old school girl, Peshala Hansanee of St. Thomas Girls School in Matara died and 26 others fell ill following administration of rubella vaccine.

Following the incident, the government temporarily suspended the school rubella vaccination program and later recommenced in May under the guidance of World Health Organization.

Source: Colombopage news desk, Sri Lanka, 13 October 2009.

Another report on the death of 13 Year Old in Sri Lanka From Rubella Vaccine

Last week we heard the tragic death of yet another school girl, Ashanti Wasana (13) of Minuwangete Maha Vidyalaya, Wariyapola following the Rubella vaccination. It was seven months ago on March 19 that the first death following Rubella vaccination was reported from Matara. The victim then was Peshala Hansini (12), a student of St. Thomas’ Girls College, Matara.

In both cases the immediate reaction of the authorities was the same. They blurted out drab statistics to show that everything was normal. It is said that the casualty rate following Rubella vaccination is one in a million or so. (So, why worry?) True. Yet is that the way to react?

Taking their own statistics, we find the casualty rate in Sri Lanka much higher. It is up to the authorities to generalise. From the point of view of a lay observer there must be something wrong somewhere. Either the vaccine was sub-standard or it was not stored properly leading to contamination. Or else, there was something wrong in its administration – either necessary precautions including a proper diagnose of the health condition of the child was not made or some other medical negligence had taken place. The exact reason could be known after a full investigation.

Among the excuses blurted out by the Spokesman is the fact that it was not mandatory to indicate the date of manufacture or date of expiry in the vaccines or in the packaging. He even cited examples from foreign countries. However, how credible his assertions were is a debatable question.

He admitted that the vaccines currently in use do not have the date of manufacture marked but ensured that only those that have the date of manufacture marked will be imported for next year. This raises the question why such vaccines were imported at all. Reputed manufacturers mark both the date of manufacture and the date of expiry on their products including vaccines. This is essential as every product has a maximum life span, for no product could be used eternally. In the case of Rubella vaccines it is about two years from the date of manufacture.

The callous attitude of the authorities is seen from another incident, also related to rubella vaccination. A Health Ministry spokesman told the media last week that the first Rubella death was due to negligence of the provincial authorities and a charge sheet was delivered to the responsible officer on October 12. That is almost seven months later. The authorities had to wait till another death to charge those responsible for the first accident.

It is the height of irresponsibility and criminal negligence of the higher authorities that they waited so long and for another death to occur. What is worse is the attempt to exonerate themselves from the blame by referring to bureaucratic delays and trade union pressure. This is conduct most shameful and despicable.

No one should find cover behind statistics or administrative difficulties in matters that concern life and death. They should, first of all be humane. The principle to be followed should be ‘One death is too many’.

Mistakes could happen, for no one is infallible. The first thing to do when a mistake occurs, however, is to admit it and then to ensure that it does not happen again.

Source: Daily News, Sri Lanka’s Daily newspaper, 19 October 2009.

8 Year Old Boy Dies After Flu Vaccine

The state Department of Health is investigating the unexpected death of an 8-year-old boy at Stony Brook University Hospital on Sunday, Oct. 11.

The boy — reportedly from Kings Park, although Claudia Hutton in the DOH Office of Public Relations in Albany would not confirm that or the boy’s name — had been admitted to St. Catherine’s of Siena Medical Center in Smithtown days before and transferred to the tertiary-level SBUH on Oct. 8. He was eventually removed from life support and died Sunday.

Reports published since the incident have implied a possible connection between the death and a flu shot the boy received the week before his death.

“He did not have flu,” Hutton said. “He did not die as a reaction to the vaccine. Some sort of virus went through him,” she speculated, since tests were not to be completed by DOH before the end of this week at the soonest. Hutton said the parents requested no autopsy be performed.

Hutton explained that an adverse reaction to a vaccine — in this case the boy received a seasonal flu vaccination, not an H1N1 shot — usually occurs “within hours if it happens at all,” so the fact that the boy’s hospitalization occurred five days later makes a connection highly unlikely.

Source: Times Beacon Record, 21 October 2009.

VAN UK’s Comment: Scientists are well aware of the latent phase which has been described in medical journals since the 1930’s. The NHS also say that a child is most likely to ‘react’ to MMR 10-14 days later, so they know reactions do happen later.

Lily Got Seizure Disorder and Died After ‘Immunizations’


Lily Doherty loved to wave.

She would shake her hand at anyone who wandered by.

But when her leg began to shake, and then her head, and finally, her entire body, her mother knew something was horribly wrong.

The seizures began eight days after Lily’s second set of immunizations. A third set of immunizations made the seizures worse, her mother says, until Lily died on Oct. 11, 2002.

She no longer vaccinates her surviving two children.

“Some might say I’m just being hysterical,” Stephanie Lee said recently at her Finlayson home. “Well, I guess that’s my option. If I’ve already had one die, how many other parents would say, ‘oh, let’s line the other two up?'”

Source: Eyewitness News, 15 November 2009.

Add your comment or reply. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *